When people think about the work commercial HVAC contractors do, they usually think of climate control. But our HVAC services concentrate on indoor air quality as much as heating and cooling. Creating clean air for commercial buildings is a large task that requires the best in technology and skill.
Today we’re going to examine one of the most powerful tools we have for improving commercial indoor air quality: an air purifier that works through a process with an intimidating name, Needlepoint Bipolar Ionization (NPBI). We’ll make this less intimidating below.
How Does Needlepoint Bipolar Ionization Work?
NPBI is a type of electrically powered air purification system that removes pollutants from the air by creating a plasma field inside a ventilation system. The air purifier is located where all the air circulating through the HVAC system must pass. The plasma field converts oxygen molecules to charged atoms, creating a high concentration of negatively and positively charged ions. These ions attach themselves to particles in the air, and this causes the particles to clump together. Where small particles can easily slip through even powerful filters, particles that first pass through a plasma field are far easier to trap.
In addition to making it easier to filter out pollutants, the ionization process also affects pathogens because when it converts oxygen into hydrogen, the loss of oxygen destroys the pathogens. A similar process eliminates a wide range of pollutants: volatile organic compounds (VOCs), odors molecules, and allergens.
What Are the Benefits of NPBI?
You have several options for air purification, but Needlepoint Bipolar Ionization has several excellent benefits:
- Kills pathogens: Commercial facility managers today are more worried than ever about harmful pathogens in the air and how they affect employees, customers, clients, etc. NPBI has a kill rate for pathogens as high as 99.8%, and this includes mold and COVID-19.
- Odor elimination: Not all air purifiers can help control odors in a building. NPBI removes the volatile organic compounds and odor molecules from the air to eliminate most odors.
- Modular and scalable: An NPBI air purifier can grow with a facility and be easily adapted to its changing needs.
- Improves HVAC efficiency: All those little particles in the ventilation system create an extra strain for a facility’s heating and cooling systems. Removing them lets the HVAC system expend most of its energy on its main job.
- No ozone or other byproducts: The best NPBI models do not create harmful chemicals, ozone, or other byproducts.
- Won’t interfere with sensitive equipment: Some air purifiers can create electromagnetic interference with precision electrical equipment—but not NPBI.
NPBI is already in use in many commercial, civic, and industrial settings: schools, airports, hospitals, and government buildings. If you’re interested in having the power of NPBI at work for your facility, or you need other solutions for the best commercial indoor air quality in Pickering, ON, reach out to our team today.
Advantage Airtech Commercial Ltd. is the Double “A” Name with the Triple “A” Rating service the Greater Toronto Area. Call us today for indoor air quality solutions and more.